Mad Cow Theatre announces our first annual Women’s Voices Play Festival of new works by emerging and established female and female-identifying playwrights. With the mission of focusing on the word, Mad Cow Theatre is excited to bring more stories to life focused on the female voice.
Festival Performance Dates
August 12-16, 2020
$300 and consideration for a full production
Seeking work from emerging and established female and female-identifying playwrights.
Official Rules and Guidelines
Submission Rules and Requirements:
Interested playwrights are encouraged to read Mad Cow Theatre’s mission statement and look at our production history to get an idea of the type of work we produce. Mad Cow Theatre will only consider submissions that meet the following criteria:
- Electronic script submissions (PDF), in standard Samuel French playwriting format - 12 point font, character name centered or 3.5 inches from left margin, 1” margin all around - should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Submission & Name of Playwright
- In the body of the email include: Script Name, Playwright Name, Playwright Email, Playwright Telephone Number, Playwright Postal Address, any university or college affiliation (if applicable) and if you are a student (undergraduate or graduate)
- Submissions must be from female or female-identifying playwrights.
- Plays must be unproduced and unpublished with limited development.
- Plays must run 60 minutes or more and can be single or multiple acts. Musical submissions must include a sound file with songs.
- Plays must utilize no more than 6 actors.
- If a musical submission, must be able to be performed with 6 people total including musicians.
- Submissions must include a contact page, character breakdown, and synopsis
- One submission per playwright.
- Any plays that do not follow these requirements will not be considered.
Festival Rules and Guidelines:
- Up to 5 finalists will be chosen to participate in the Women’s Voices Festival online and up to 5 semi-finalists will receive honorable mentions leading up to the festival.
- Finalists will be selected by a panel of readers and notified by Mad Cow Theatre no later than July 22 prior to the July 24 official announcement
- We regret that individual feedback will not be possible and only finalists/semi-finalists will be contacted.
- Each finalist play will receive the following: a professional director and cast, 13 rehearsal hours including a staged reading, and facilitated post-show talkback in a virtual setting.
- Playwrights are required to participate in the rehearsal process and attend the readings and talkbacks for their play in a virtual setting.
- Winner of festival will receive $300 and consideration for a full production
- A runner up will receive $150
- No other royalties or payments will be issued. If a full production moves forward, a contract will be negotiated for full production. The playwright holds all rights to their materials.
- Submissions will be capped after the first  scripts are received.
- The winner will be announced on the final day of the festival no later than August 16
Questions? Email email@example.com with the subject line “Question”